day 9: are you a good listener?

Am I a good listener, you ask? 

Let me ask you a question, is there a paintbrush in my hand? Then I am listening with my whole body and I can hear silent and powerful things.

Am I a good listener, you ask. 

Is there a colored pencil in my hand to make dashes and dots on paper? Yes, I am tuning in to the exact frequency of words I hear, while my hand create colors and shapes?

Am I listening to the electrictity in the wind moments before a storm? Then yes, I am. All of it. It's glorious.

Am I standing in front of the sea, being washed in the rhythm of the waves calling to the restless inside me? Listening loud and clear.

Are you telling me true and vulnerable things beyond small talk? The biggest things you know and why do you exist? I am listening well and I feel the weight of your words. I will travel with you through those emotions. I am not afraid of the darkness, because I believe profoundly in light.

But chances are good that if I am only listening, I can hear the all the sounds and I understand what you are saying,  but did you see the way the light streams in through the window and cuts across the bookshevles, like a spotlight to where my absolutely favorite book is sitting.  Did you see the shadows of the lemon verbena dancing on the white walls, dancing to music we cannot hear, but by looking closely can feel every sound.

Am I a good listener? It depends, because the winter sky is fading from lavender to pink and somewhere a sailor is making plans for tomorrow.

There are so many ways to listen.

Comments

Popular Posts